Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Farewells and Goodbyes


Today was the beginning of farewells and goodbyes. Some of Michael's extended family met us for lunch today and then came to the house for one last visit before bidding us farewell on our upcoming adventure. It became a momentous goodbye when the cash was pressed into my hand at the restaurant by one of Michael's aunts and when the other aunt pulled out gift books for Ezra and put more cash into Michael's back pocket on her way out. Then my best friend growing up throughout my childhood and teenage years, whom I in recent years have gratefully reconnected with, came by with her daughter bearing a bottle of champagne, and some sweet vegan treats. We laughed and chatted lightly about the upcoming change about to come upon us and enjoyed each others children playing at our feet. When it was time to say goodbye, I could feel the tightness in my throat and the tears welling behind my eyes that will probably become harder to suppress as the next days arrive. In the evening, our neighbors for the last 7 years came by to say goodbye and brought a bag full of thoughtful gifts for our trip. We enjoyed each others company sitting around the kitchen table and thought to ourselves, why didn't we make more time for this during all these years? However, we have both felt fortunate to live side by side knowing we could count on the other to be kind, courteous, and help the other out in a pinch. The moments before departure are truly being treasured. With each hour our leaving is becoming a bittersweet reality. On the one hand, it is truly sad to leave our home where we have loving neighbors and beloved family and friends close by. But, on the other hand sweet adventure awaits and what lies around the corner may be a beautiful rainbow of new friends and family gatherings on a beautiful island that will one day be a treasured memory. Whatever happens, I am grateful for today. My heart aches during goodbyes, but with each encounter it overflows with the love that is shared with the people I am with.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck to you all! I will be following along throughout your journey. XOXO, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you set up this site Nunu. I hope you write in it often as I'm afraid I'll eat up your cell phone minutes otherwise! Speaking of which, let me know when I can call you. Thinking of you 3 A LOT! Hope you are enjoying the beginning of your new adventure. XXXOOO -Sarah

    ReplyDelete

i do love your comments. thank you for taking the time to write.