Monday, February 1, 2010

Baking Day


Today was our first official "Baking Day." In an attempt to create a new rhythm for Ezra and me while we while away the time here on this island, I am incorporating the Waldorf practice of daily rhythms into our lives. Of course we've always had a natural rhythm of our own, with regular sleeping, waking, and eating times (for the most part) we are now adding a daily activity to our rhythm. So I decided that Mondays will be our day to bake.

Today we made Apple Cake from "The Waldorf Kindergarten Snack Book." Before leaving America for St. Maarten, I brought several books about Waldorf philosophy, particularly pertaining to the early years. I am hoping that someday Ezra will go to a Waldorf school. But, until then, I am happy to homeschool Ezra.

Today I wasn't sure he was going to bake with me. I handed him his apron and asked for his help with the stirring. At first, he resisted, but he quickly changed his mind and asked for his stool. This is not our first time baking together - it's a favorite pastime of ours. And, he loves mixing up the batter so he can reach in with his finger before the flour is completely saturated with the liquid ingredients of the recipe, so that he can have a little taste.

It gets hims every time. Next Monday we're making pretzels.



1 comment:

  1. Hi, This is great, children like nothing better than to near there parents, as they are their first teachers and the love of there lives, well done, keep on baking together, soon he will want to help you prepare dinner, cheers from Marie in New Zealand

    ReplyDelete

i do love your comments. thank you for taking the time to write.