the new landscape of our beach
from the rocks to the whitewash is all new beach for us to lay on and for Ezra to play on
these rocks used to be covered by the sea
you can walk to the villas next door now
the new view from the entrance
November 11th is St. Martin's Day, a holiday here in St. Maarten and also in many other European countries. It is also know as Martinmas or Martinstag. It is the celebration of St. Martin of Tours, a kind and simple man who led a quiet life. One of the more famous stories about his life is one of him cutting his cloak in half to save the life of a beggar from dying in the cold. Agriculturally, it marks the end of autumn and the beginning of winter. It couldn't be more apparent here today that the season is changing. Two nights ago we had a heavy windstorm and as of yesterday we have a new beachfront at our hotel. Whereas before we had only a postage size stamp patch of sand to sit on, we can now lay our towels out and build sand castles while Michael goes snorkeling in the sea. Not only has our beach changed, but the weather is taking a turn for the milder, cooler breezes of the high season. It is truly a day to celebrate change.
Back home in the United States, my fellow Americans are celebrating our heroes of war for Veteran's Day. I am also remembering this important day in my country while celebrating a new custom in this foreign country where I am a lucky visitor for two years. Although I will embrace my time on this beautiful Caribbean island, I love my country and am grateful for those who made it what it is. Today I am thankful for this beautiful world we live in!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful adventure here. I enjoyed learning about St. Martin. I also loved reading what you wrote about Veteran's Day in the States. My husband's grandfather, Paul Jarrett, who lived to be over 100, fought in WW1. Not long before he died, he was awarded Chevalier of the Legion on Honor by the French Government for his bravery while stationed in France. There is even a street named after him in the town which he helped to save. Since Veteran's Day started at the end of World War I, I thought I'd share that!
ReplyDeleteI have a classroom blog, as does Linda Yollis. I hope you'll visit and leave us a comment!
Sincerely,
Faith Ranney
http://mrsranneysclassroomblog.blogspot.com