Wednesday, January 5, 2011

yarn along

a post of my latest knitting project and read in a yarn along hosted by ginny.  
i am enjoying my first john holt book, "learning all the time."   having read so many great homeschooling blogs over the last year and a half, i was led to this book by several of them.  i like what i've read so far and am finding myself in total agreement with holt about teaching reading and writing to a youngster and how we do it all wrong in school - having been a first grade teacher for 8 years and always feeling that the teaching methods were inherently wrong.  how many times i had to confuse my poor students with our spelling lessons about a certain spelling rule only to find an exception to the rule minutes later.  this is just one small example though.  i think the big picture is more important and that children need be taught reading and writing in a loving environment filled with words that have purpose in the real world.  children should be read to and see print in their everyday lives put to use so that they are inspired to learn themselves.  of course we all read to our students and had print rich environments in our classrooms, but i think the missing element in most of them is the LOVE.  maybe i'm a total hippie.  but, i wholeheartedly agree that children can be set up for failure in a classroom environment where the levels vary so much in ability that the kids who haven't caught on yet are only discouraged by their apparent lack of ability shown side by side with their reading peers.  it was one of my greatest struggles as a teacher to witness the effect of this  disparity in my students and see how wrong some of things we were instructed to do as teachers was.    
okay well onto the needles....  i am making a set of matryoshka dolls for my friend's baby who arrives to st. maarten with her mama in 2 weeks time!  the pattern is from "itty-bitty toys" and i am using some leftover yarn from a dress i knit for the same girl.  i know she will love it and am so excited to see them both!

10 comments:

  1. Love Susan B. Anderson's patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great book and wonderful colour yarn xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about teaching reading to our children, although I speak only as a book-loving mama without the teaching experience. I can't wait to see the matryoshka dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Itty Bitty Toys sounds like a fun book. I hope you'll post a picture of the matryoshka dolls when they are done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful yarn color :) ...yup I agree with everyone! - you have to post a picture when the dolls are done! I really want to see them! sounds like fun project :)
    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, your first grade classroom was filled with love and other things Jessi loved like yoga and knitting lessons! It was in first grade where Jessi's reading ability started taking off, but far more important was her love for you and being in your class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the book recommdation. I must try and buy that for Sam. I'm always looking for guidance in how to go about reading etc. Are you knitting with 3 needles! Looks very complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The doll sounds like it'll be so cute what with matching her dress and all...I'm sure she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I have never read one of Holt's books. I must might have to see if the library has a copy I can borrow :) I can't wait to see your matryoshka doll! I bet it's going to turn out fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That books sounds good. I want to read it, especially since I'm teaching Isaiah to read. I do take it VERY easy. He is only 5. In Switzerland, none of the children learned to read until they were 7 years old in 1st grade.

    ReplyDelete

i do love your comments. thank you for taking the time to write.